Nothing Really New to Report

January 08, 2018 2 Comments A+ a-


Nothing Really New to Report

Today was just an average day. Nothing too exciting happened. Chloe did sleep in her bed all night last night until about 7:30 am this morning. She went to bed tonight without a fight, thankfully. And, she's starting school tomorrow. 

I take her to school at 11 am, and Grandma will be picking her up because I have an appointment at 2:30 pm. So, I don't even get to ask the teachers about her first day :(. 

I am excited and worried at the same time, about Chloe staring school. I've been very protective of her in not letting anyone but family take care of her. So, Chloe going to school for a few hours a day without me is going to feel weird, and my anxiety is going to be through the roof.

But, all of that happens tomorrow. I just need to get through the rest of tonight and then worry about tomorrow. 

I spent the better part of my day writing code, again. I do this sort of thing a lot. But, today, I had an issue that I just couldn't seem to fix. I was trying to get some buttons to show in a custom user profile, and no matter what I did, those buttons wouldn't show up. After spending about an hour and a half trying to figure out the root problem, I reached out to the ProBoards support staff for some guidance. It turns out it was a stupid easy fix. I wasn't paying attention to the tab I was editing, and therefore I was adding the wrong variables to the template.

I'm a firm believer that when you fix one problem in a code, you create a million more. Hence the shirt pictured above. My buddy Chris in the U.K. sent me that shirt almost two years ago now. We use to code and create things together all the time, talk on skype, and yell at each other when one of those "it worked fine yesterday" moments came around. 

Anyway, I got a good bit of work done on the Harry Potter project today. Custom Profiles and Mini Profiles are set up, changed some color issues with that chat box at the bottom of the site, created and modified a news page and four common room areas for each Hogwarts House, and wrote up and uploaded two site guides to DropBox for April to go over. It was an entirely productive day in that regard.

Today, one of my closest friends has a birthday. So, Happy Birthday CJ! I miss your face! ~ I've been so worried about him because he was diagnosed with two inoperable brain tumors not too long ago. Sometimes, he disappears and I don't hear from him. It worries me. But, after talking with someone about it, I've learned there is a reason I don't hear from him. I just do my best to check in and make sure he's doing alright from time to time.

Well, nothing else is going on over here tonight. I need to finish up a few things then head to bed as I have to get up super early in the morning to drop my husband off in Atlanta for work. Until tomorrow ...

I'm a stay-at-home mom, full-time college student, and my other things. I love to write, talk, read, play games, design graphics and websites, and a whole lot more.

2 comments

Write comments
April Magill
AUTHOR
January 9, 2018 at 2:51 AM delete

Aw, I know there's no point in telling you not to worry yourself over the school thing tomorrow, but don't let it take over your day. She'll be back with you, safe and sound, before you know it. :) Good to hear that she's having no issues sleeping in her new bed also.

As I said earlier, at least the code dilemma was an easy fix! Everything is coming along nicely, let's hope it's still smooth sailing the rest of the way.

So sorry to hear about your friend's health issues. :/ He's lucky to have you care about him, even when you can't seem to reach him. I hope he had a great day though!

Reply
avatar
Amanda Zimmer
AUTHOR
January 11, 2018 at 9:39 PM delete

Yeah, I was happy that it was something stupid simple to fix. I didn't want to have to pick apart everything to figure out what I did wrong. Sometimes it does wonders to have a fresh pair of eyes take a look at code.

Regarding my friend, he's called me the past three days. When he called today, he asked if I was tired of him calling yet? He's such a smartass which is part of the reason we get along so well!

Reply
avatar